"The Blog That's A Hoax"

Add to Technorati Favorites

Monday, July 7, 2008

New Sin Found In Bible





I was talking to Rev. H. Lucas Thinn the other day, and I asked him what bearing false witness meant. He said, in the broadest sense, that it meant speaking about something of which you are knowingly lacking in knowledge. For example, if I said I was a mechanic because I once looked at a car engine, I would be bearing false witness. I don't actually know what I'm talking about when it comes to fixing cars. I might have an opinion, but I have no experience or expertise.

This has an application to Bible-quoting Christians. Since there are no original documents from which to derive an accurate translation, as Quentin Slayter said, they can't possibly know what they are talking about in any direct sense. By quoting from the Bible to prove a point, or usually to condemn someone they hate, they are bearing false witness. Interestingly, doing this breaks one of the alleged ten commandments. Breaking one of them is a sin. Therefore, the act of quoting from the Bible is an act of bearing false witness, because there are no original documents from which to draw relevant expertise. Quoting from the Bible is a sin.

I'm glad we've cleared that up.







- Rev. Harold Fowler Tinty

About Matt

My photo
You think you understand what you thought I said, but really what you heard is not what I meant to imply.
Bookmark and Share